Thursday 22 March 2012

Bean update and new experiment



Our beansprouts are on day 3 now, and I've taken a picture of their progress. Harlan knew they would grow leaves as they sprouted, so once there are a few open leaves (hopefully!) we can talk about the sun shining on the leaves and giving the plant energy to grow.




As it is Spring, I thought it would be a good time to do an experiment that my mum did with me when I was a child. My mum is an inspiration to me. Whilst my brother and I weren't home educated, and our family didn't have much money, my parents (mum in particular) were always coming up with interesting things to do with us. Harlan and I have taken three glasses, and put a few white flowers in each one. We have used crysanthemums as they were cheap but you could use any pale flower. We added water, then a few drops of food dye in each glass. In reality, it was more like half a bottle of food dye in each glass as Harlan was helping, but hopefully the flowers will survive! The idea is to introduce the concept of osmosis, at a very basic level. We have discussed how the flower 'sucks' up the water through its stem and because the water is coloured, the petals should change colour. I think Harlan was slightly disappointed that nothing happened straight away but he is excited that changes might happen while he is asleep tonight.

Here are our flowers, day one.


2 comments:

  1. Great idea with the flowers, I'll do this with my kids next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved seeing it in facebook, can't wait to see the flower results.

    ReplyDelete